Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Happy Earth Day 2015

Honoring our Earth Day tradition, this year we planted some High Mowing Organic Seeds to transplant to my father-in-law's farm in a few weeks. I was going to try and do a raised bed since we have clay for a back yard, but we have some pretty bad squirrels and I'm scared they may eat our veggies. I did plant a tomato plant in a pot on our porch and am hoping for the best! So we will see for next year.

Stonyfield Yo Getters got an awesome seed package from High Mowing Organic Seeds and I fell in love with their catalog! I can't wait to order some herbs and flowers. I am in love with their variety of organic vegetables! Check out how many varieties there are for each veggie!
Artichoke
Beans
Beet
Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Carrots
Cauliflower
Celery
Chard
Corn
Collards
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Fennel
Garlic
Greens
Kale
Kohlrabi
Leeks
Lettuce
Melons
Okra
Onions
Peas
Peppers
Potatoes
Pumpkins
Radicchio
Radishes
Rutabaga
Salad Mixes
Shoots & Sprouts
Soybeans
Spinach
Squash - Summer
Squash - Winter
Tomatoes
Turnips
Watermelons
Zucchini




















High Mowing organic seeds began in 1996 and now has over 600 heirloom, open-pollinated and hybrid varieties of vegetable, fruit, herb and flower seeds. Their organic seeds are grown without synthetic chemicals and are non-GMO. Even though all of High Mowing Organic Seeds are non-GMO, they have the first line of Non-GMO Project verified seeds!

The best part about buying organic seeds is knowing that you are helping support organic farming.  High Mowing Organic Seeds  has free shipping on all orders, so be sure to check them out!

Another fun Earth Day activity we did was put up a nest box for Brown-headed Nuthatch birds.
The birds are losing their homes due to urbanization and deforestation. Audubon NC hopes to put up 10,000 Brown-headed Nuthatch homes in 2015. I've seen some in our backyard, so I hope they decide to stick around and build a nest.
We also put up a cage with dog hair for the birds to take to the nest box! We are excited to watch our birds build nests in our back yard. 

I'd love to hear what did you do for Earth Day?

*I am part of the Stonyfield YoGetters group of bloggers and receive compensation and products as part of the program. My opinion is not influenced in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment