Thursday, August 1, 2013

World Breastfeeding Week- my story


I'm stoked about World Breastfeeding Week this year. The theme is Close to Mothers- peer counseling. After going through what I have with both children, I think peer counseling is extremely important. With E, I had no idea what I was doing. I was a first time mom and no one I knew breastfed. So when the LC at the hospital told me to supplement because E lost weight, I did without question. 2 months later, our pediatrician never told me to stop supplementing, so my milk slowly began to dry up. By 3 1/2 months, our breastfeeding experience ended.

This time with KJ, I was educated. I knew what to expect. I met my lactation consultant 2 months before little man was even due to discuss what happened previously. I have large breasts, inverted nipples, and possible supply issues. So when little man was born, I was thrilled he latched right away. We had 2 good days of perfect breastfeeding until they stuck his heel for the blood test. I then allowed a bad latch feeding on both sides which led to cracked, bleeding nipples. (ouch is right!)

2 weeks later, I had mastitis from the improper latch feeding. Which led to more bad latches because it hurt so much. So I began pumping to give my nipples a break. This was risky since he wasn't even a month old and I went to exclusively bottle feeding breast milk. After the mastitis cleared up and my nipples healed, I tried to put him back on the breast and he had a really bad latch, when he even would. I went back to my lactation consultant to find out he had a tongue tie. So I had to make the decision if I wanted to clip it. After a long debate, we went for it.

A week later, he was at the breast, happily breastfeeding and it has been easy breezy ever since. Now he's teething, so I'm sort of anxious what is going to happen once he bites down that one time. But, I'm so proud of myself for making it to where I am. We are going on 8 1/2 months and we have no intentions of stopping anytime soon. I know if it wasn't for my persistence, I would have given up after we left the hospital and it was excruciatingly painful.

But I had support from my friends, family, and amazing LC. I look forward to my new path so I can help other moms who are struggling with breastfeeding! If you want to join me for a week worth of celebrating, check out BabyElan {daily} where we will be holding reviews and giveaways all week for nursing moms!

Happy Breastfeeding Awareness Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment