Monday, January 23, 2012

Frosting Without the Dyes

I was told to share my icing recipe that I used for E's cupcakes for her party. She asked for pink icing and I'm highly against Red Dye-40, so I got crafty in the kitchen.
Organic Pink Icing
Cut up organic strawberries and raspberries. I used about a cup. Add 1/4 cup of water, 1 tbs of lemon juice, and 1/2 cup of cane sugar. Simmer for about 30-45 min. You don't want it to have a thick consistency like jam, but close to it. I then jared and stored in the fridge for 2 days.
2 cups organic powdered sugar
1 stick organic butter at room temp (1/2 cup)

Blend together the butter and powdered sugar at a high speed until thick and fluffy- usually about 3 minutes. Add coloring to desired color and taste. The more you add, the more it tastes like the berries. :) You can do this with other fruits for different colors.

(Note: the frosting consistency is thick like normal buttercream frosting. I am just not that good at using a icing bag.)




2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this. What recipe did you use for the cake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol "anonymous" is a real perfectionist! Maybe he/she should consider zen philosophy: beauty is imperfect! Besides, I bet the berries add a nice flavor to this treat. Not to mention making things from scratch will imbue it with love!

    ReplyDelete