Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Xylitol Brownies

I finally went and bought more xylitol to make brownies. I also decided to make some xylitol sweet tea while I was at it because I was having a major craving for my organic black tea (that's not so good without sweetness.)

First let me say that the brownies were unbelievably good! I'd even put them in the top 10 best brownies. They were so good, I ate 2 giant brownies with a huge glass of milk. Followed by a cup of my xylitol black tea. Which was so so.

So, do you remember my first xylitol post? The part where I said, "
Xylitol can cause gas, bloating, and upset stomach." Yeah, well I didn't think that 2 brownies and a cup of tea would cause those effects. But boy was I wrong! If you are wondering, each of my brownies were cut into 3X3 pieces.

Last night, I ate half of a brownie and was fine. Tonight I will try 1 full brownie to see what happens. But I had no clue it was that sensitive. Now, if you tasted these brownies, you'd understand why I have to keep testing. They are totally getting rid of my chocolate craving and are 100% sugar free. And are DELICIOUS!

Here is the recipe in case you'd like to try at home. Just remember to stop yourself before getting seconds!

Organic spray oil or butter for coating
10 tablespoons organic salted butter- cut into 10 tablespoons
1 1/3 cup xylitol (this is 1:1 to sugar)
3/4 cup fair trade unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons water
1 tablespoon organic vanilla
2 large organic cage free eggs, chilled
1/3 plus 1 tablespoon organic wholewheat flour
1 cup walnuts

Place your rack on the bottom 1/3 of the oven. Preheat oven 325. Get a 9" pan and cover with foil and let it drape over so you can lift. Then spray organic oil or butter on the foil. Put butter pieces on stove and melt over medium heat. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes.
When butter stops foaming and you see lots of brown bits, take off heat.
Immediately add xylitol, cocoa, vanilla, and water and blend.
Let cool for 5 minutes.
Then add eggs and beat into mixture. Once shiny, add the flour and stir about 60 strokes. Add nuts. Then pour into greased foil/pan.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.

This is my recipe that I'd use with sugar. With the sugar, there is a nice crisp crust on top. The xylitol doesn't crust, but it's still moist and yummy.

Has anyone else used xylitol and mastered the "safe" amount?


No comments:

Post a Comment