Tuesday, May 31, 2011

No Sugar Challenge Day 31

Whew, it's been a LONG 31 days!! 69 more days to go! Though, when my challenge is all over, I doubt I will ever go back to being a sugarholic, but man I can't wait to have a cupcake. :D

During my first month of only 15 grams of fructose a day, the biggest thing I've learned is that sugar is truly in EVERYTHING. And in obscene amounts of it. It doesn't matter if you are buying conventional or organic, there is tons of sugar everywhere. Just one peanut butter and jelly sandwich can have 24 grams of sugar, and that's IF you are only using a tablespoon of jelly and peanut butter. Limiting myself to only 15 grams of fructose, I've had to really pay attention to portion sizes. And I learned that my portion sizes have been too big.

I've also learned it's really hard to limit kids sugar. Now Ella only gets organic foods and it's not like I'm giving her soda or candy bars. But on average, she gets about 40-50 grams of sugar a day. And that's over the recommended 32 grams. I can't imagine what kids are getting that get lots of juice, sodas, candy, and other snacks. I have to say the mini box of raisins blew my mind- 29 grams of sugar!

So, in month 1 I have learned sugar is in everything, that I need to better control my portions, curb cravings with substitutes, too much xylitol causes tummy issues, and I have lost 10 pounds. I am still 165.

I did some other research on sugar and read that exercise is a way to curb cravings. So I'm going to add a yoga routine to my no sugar. I haven't planned it out fully, but will be back with more details. The first month of my challenge I did no other workout/exercise program that could alter the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment