Soap Nuts are found in the Himalayan Mountains and are used as an alternative to chemical detergents. The soap nuts contain a substance called saponin that produces a soaping effect. They have been used for centuries as laundry cleaners, soaps, and as cleaners. Farmers take out the nut (actually the seed) to replant. It's the actual shell that contains the saponin that will leave your clothes fresh and clean. You are given a small bag to place the soap nuts. You then place them into the wash and as they are rubbed against one another, they release the saponin. They break down the surface tension between the water and oil in the wash water, reducing the surface tension between water and oil aiding it in freeing dirt, grime, and oils from clothes.
Important points about Soap Nuts:
- Effectively clean laundry - leaving it softer and fresher that you may have ever experienced.
- Antimicrobial properties. Removes microbes from laundry.
- Natural anti-fungal properties.
- Hypoallergenic. Most allergic reactions to detergents are due to the chemicals and fragrances in them. - Great for removing odors.
- Mild and gentle on fabric structure and colors.
- Low sudsing: Good for all washers. Excellent for high efficiency (HE) washers.
- 100% biodegradable.
- No animal testing.
- Requires no manufacturing processes. No chemicals or fossil fuels needed to produce.
- A primary product from a sustainable source.
- Does not pollute our water systems.
- Good for septic and grey water systems.
- Environmentally safe.
Our 5 soap nuts lasted 4 washes until they became mushy. We then were able to use a trial size of the Soap Nuts Liquid, which is a concentrated form of the soapnuts. 8 ounces replaces 17 pounds of conventional laundry products! The Soap Nuts Liquid received its second Greendot award this February!! I'm not sure which I liked more. They both did an outstanding job getting out tough stains on Ella's clothes. She was pretty rough, especially running around with 4 dogs most of the week.
The Giveaway: NaturOli would like to give 1 lucky winner a 4 oz. bag of Soap Nuts! That's 40 loads!!
Rules: You have until 11:59 p.m. EST May 17, 2010 to enter. The winner will be chosen by random.org and announced after they respond to the winning email. The winner has 48 hours to respond to the winning email, or a new winner will be chosen. You must leave your email address! This contest is open only to the US
How to Enter: Tell me another NaturOli product that you would like to try. Make sure to leave your email address!! I cannot contact the winner without it!
EXTRA entries: You must complete the "How To Enter" before making any extra entries. Make sure you leave a comment for each extra entry and tell me which one.
2. Become a fan of Mkokopelli on FB, Follow Mkokopelli on Networked Blogs, Follow Mkokopelli on Twitter, or Follow my blog (1 each)
3. Subscribe to my blog by email (on the right sidebar) You must verify and be active at the time of the giveaway- those who are unverified will become disqualified
4. Blog, Tweet or send a message on FB and leave a link here (1 entry per day)
5. Enter another giveaway I have going on and tell me which one or leave a comment on a non-giveaway post (1 entry total)
6. Join NaturOli today (this is free)
7. Become a fan of NaturOli on Facebook
8. Tell me something you learned on the NaturOli site
9. Tell me a publication that has featured NaturOli
10. Grab my button and post on your blog, Facebook page, or myspace page and link back in a comment
New disclaimer: I was sent these items to review from NaturOli. This in NO way changes my opinions about the products or company. These are my thoughts, opinions and results.