I found out about Putumayo when Ella was taking Gymboree classes when she was a baby/toddler. They played several CD's and the kids loved dancing around to them. Plus, Putumayo Kids isn't the kind of children's music that makes you want to pull your hair out or accidentally "lose." I had no clue that Putumayo created more than just kids music until last month. If you aren't familiar with them, Putumayo is amazing cultural music from around the world. They have tons of music from Africa, Asia, Brazil, Europe, Latin, Middle East, Louisiana, Celtic, Caribbean, and lots more.
I was really excited that the new Putumayo Rhythm & Blues CD arrived before we took our trip. I love old music, and I especially love the blues. R&B began in the late 1940's with swinging big band music. R&B was derived from gospel music and the blues. Today when you hear the term R&B you think of rap and hip hop, but true R&B is much different! It personally makes me flash back to movies from the 50's and 60's of people dancing and shagging. Which makes sense because R&B music was created to make people dance. So listening to this on the way to beach was totally appropriate.
The awesome thing about Putumayo's Rhythm & Blues compilation is that they are performed by first generation legends and rising stars of today's retro R&B revival. Featured artists include: Lavelle White • James Hunter • Cracked Ice • The Quantic Soul Orchestra featuring Kabir • The Emotions • Sam Moore, Keb’ Mo’ and Angie Stone • Catherine Russell • Ruthie Foster • Snooks Eaglin • Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings • Rockie Charles • Irma Thomas with Henry Butler.
The Putumayo R&B CD is really great for all ages! Ella enjoyed listening to it several times on our trip. I love the booklet that comes with the CD has info about each artist and their origins, especially since I can't tell the difference between the old and new artists. :)
You can hear sample's of the CD by visiting Putumayo's website. You can purchase the CD online for only $14.98. You can also get free song downloads by checking out the Putumayo blog!
The Giveaway: Putumayo would like to give 1 lucky winner a Rhythm and Blues CD!
Rules: You have until 11:59 p.m. EST March 27, 2010 to enter. The winner will be chosen by random.org and announced after they respond to the winning email. The winner has 48 hours to respond to the winning email, or a new winner will be chosen. You must leave your email address! This contest is open only to the US
How to Enter: Tell me another Putumayo CD you like. Make sure to leave your email address!! I cannot contact the winner without it!
EXTRA entries: You must complete the "How To Enter" before making any extra entries. Make sure you leave a comment for each extra entry and tell me which one.
2. Become a fan of Mkokopelli on FB, Follow Mkokopelli on Networked Blogs, Follow Mkokopelli on Twitter, or Follow my blog (1 each)
3. Subscribe to my blog by email (on the right sidebar) You must verify and be active at the time of the giveaway- those who are unverified will become disqualified
4. Blog, Tweet or send a message on FB and leave a link here (1 entry per day)
5. Enter another giveaway I have going on and tell me which one or leave a comment on a non-giveaway post (1 entry total)
6. Become a fan of Putumayo on Facebook
7. Follow Putumayo on Twitter
8. Tell me your favorite song on the new CD by listening to a sample
9. Download a song from Putumayo and get signed up for their newsletter. Tell me the song you downloaded.
10. Grab my button and post on your blog, Facebook page, or myspace page and link back in a comment
New disclaimer: I was sent this to review from Putumayo. This in NO way changes my opinions about the products or company. These are my thoughts, opinions and results.