When I burned our first fire this year, you could smell it all throughout the house. The chimney is clean and the flue was open. The only thing I could think it could be was the wood that I was using, but didn't think anything of it. I just did a search and found out that wood can emit carbon monoxide and even formaldehyde! Dead wood is also a breeding ground for mold and when burnt the mold spores actually spread throughout your house.
I did research on fire logs and though some claim to be eco-friendly, they don't list their ingredients. Some use bio-wax, which is harming rain forests and orangutans. One company said they use natural oils and plants, but even some natural oils can be toxic when burned. Then I came across Clean Flame.
Clean Flame is truly a eco-friendly fire log from all aspects. The Clean Flame log is made of 100% non-toxic recycled wax cardboard that would otherwise end up in landfills. 600,000 TONS of WOCC (Waxed Old Corrugated Cardboard) go into landfills every year and 1,500,000 WOCC are made every day in the US. It also takes over 50 years to decompose- which is the goal of waxing the boxes. The waxed boxes are mostly used for shipping products shipped with ice for fresh produce. Luckily Clean Flame found a use for them.
The Clean Flame log produces 86% less creosote, 80% less carbon monoxide, 30% less particulate matter, and 50% more heat/pound than oak firewood. Oak is the cleanest burning wood. The cool thing about Clean Flame logs is that you can use them in a wood burning stove, you can use them indoors or out, you can use multiple fire logs and even use them with real wood. They have little smoke and odor and produce a perfect fire. You can even roast marshmallows with them!!
Clean Flame sent us a case of logs and I am more than impressed! Before I learned about burning regular wood, we had bought a truckload full. I had issues keeping the fire going and when I used Clean Flame, it was perfect. It started instantly and was beautiful. Except for the odor permeating throughout my house. When I burned the Clean Flame by itself, I smelled nothing! When you use 2 logs it looks more like a wood burning fire, which I've really liked. There is something about a big fire. The Clean Flame logs also do a good job on heating my basement, even when they aren't used with wood.
Luckily when I was grocery shopping last week, I was able to find Clean Flame!! And they cost less than any other fire log brands. :)
The Giveaway: Clean Flame would like to give 1 lucky reader a case of Clean Flame logs!!Rules: You have until 11:59 p.m. EST January 4, 2010 to enter. The winner will be chosen by random.org and announced after they respond to the winning email. The winner has 48 hours to respond to the winning email, or a new winner will be chosen. You must leave your email address! This contest is open to the US
How to Enter: Go to Clean Flame and tell me where you can find them near you. Make sure to leave your email address!! I cannot contact the winner without it!
EXTRA entries: You must complete the "How To Enter" before making any extra entries. Make sure you leave a comment for each extra entry and tell me which one.
2. Become a fan of Mkokopelli on FB, Mkokopelli on Twitter, or Follow my blog
3. Subscribe to my blog by email (on the right sidebar) You must verify and be active at the time of the giveaway- those who are unverified will become disqualified
4. Blog, Tweet or send a message on FB and leave a link here (3 extra entries total)
5. Enter another giveaway I have going on and tell me which one or leave a comment on a non-giveaway post (1 entry total)
6. Go to Clean Flame and tell me something else you learned that wasn't mentioned in the post
7. Tell me why you want to try the Clean Flame logs
8. Grab my button
New disclaimer: I was sent this item to review from Clean Flame. This is NO way changes my opinions about the products or company. These are my thoughts, opinions and results.