Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pumpkin Seeds

It is pumpkin carving time and you can reuse everything inside of your pumpkin instead of trashing it! If you have a steamer, steam the pumpkin for a dip or even a pumpkin pie! The seeds are my favorite part. And the reason why I have to have 4-6 pumpkins every year. :) Plus they are packed with fiber and protein!! Pumpkin seeds can be stored in an air tight container for around 2 months in the fridge if you don't cook all of them. I remember being in 3rd grade and we made pumpkin seeds in class and ever since then, I've made them every year. Here are my favorite 2 recipes:

Spicy Pumpkin Seeds:

Wash off your pumpkin seeds and put on a tray. It's OK if some pumpkin is still left on them, it adds flavor. Sprinkle the desired amount of crushed red pepper, pepper, garlic, salt and paprika. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
*Note: the crushed red pepper has a kick- so use sparingly. You can also leave out the spicy stuff for your kids.

Fried 3rd Grade Pumpkin Seeds:

Use organic canola oil or veggie oil. Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the seeds (they swim around) and when light brown, usually about 5 minutes, they are ready. Sprinkle a tiny bit of salt or garlic for added flavor.

1 comments:

  1. Yum, sounds good. I have a pumpkin and I will try these recipes.

    ReplyDelete