Saturday, September 12, 2009

Apple Picking & a Few Recipes

I love picking fruit! There's just something about picking your own and coming home to making fresh made goods. Today we went apple picking in York, SC at Windy Hill Orchard and there were soooo many apples!Ella had a blast, though there were so many apples we were done in 5 minutes. But 30 apples for $10 isn't bad at all. I came home and made applesauce and apple juice. I was going to bake a pie, but didn't have all that I needed. I wanted to share my applesauce and apple juice recipe and will be back about the pie.

Homemade Applesauce:
7 apples- cut into cubes
3 tbs un-salted butter (I use organic)
1 cup water
brown sugar
cinnamon

Melt the butter and then add the cup of water. Then add the apples. You can add however much brown sugar and cinnamon you would like. I used 3/4 cup of brown sugar and lots of cinnamon. Simmer for about 45 minutes or until the water mixture is almost gone. Enjoy the aroma in your kitchen. Then put into a blender and puree. This should fill 2 jars.

Homemade Apple Juice
7 apples-sliced
5 cups of water
organic cane sugar

Boil the apples until they are soft. This takes about 20-30 minutes. Then put the mixture into a blender, and add sugar to your desired taste. I used 1/3 of a cup. Then blend the apples and water, I used the liquefy setting, until there are no apple chunks. I added about 2 cups of water to dilute mine.

For adults: if you save some of the juice, before diluting, add vodka and it makes a great appletini!

No comments:

Post a Comment