Friday, September 11, 2009

9-11

Wow, it's hard to believe that it's been 8 years. I remember like it was yesterday, living in Wilmington, walking down my stairs to hear my mom hysterically crying, "America is under attack!" She muffled out what was going on and I ran upstairs to turn my TV on to see the North tower start to fall. I ran to wake up my roommate and we all sat in my living room, crying, comforting one another. We all felt truly vulnerable for the first time. It was like the safety blanket that had been protecting America all of our lives had been ripped off. I remember going to school that evening, amazed that classes hadn't been canceled. We all spoke about what had happened and wrote a poem about our feelings, then class was dismissed. (I majored in Creative Writing)

I drove home to Charlotte that night and it was the most eerie feeling in the world not seeing planes flying above. The next day we drove to the Charlotte airport to see hundreds of planes parked... it was a spooky feeling I don't think I'll ever forget.

Then everyone in America united. No differences mattered, we all were one nation. Flags were flown. Stickers were on everyone's cars. People truly came together for the first time in my life. Now, 8 years later, it's almost like it never happened. That unity has been divided and people have forgotten what makes America so important. 2,993 people died that day. Fathers, mothers, children, sons and daughters. Please fly your flags high today in honor of their memory and the terrible tragedy that struck America. This is something we should never forget.

Throughout the day I will post some great giveaways and reviews of companies who make their products in the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment